Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Bishop Richard Allen Park










Yesterday, June 1, 2010, was a great day in Radnor, Pennsylvania. Radnor, a part of the "Main Line" in the Philadelphia area, is one of the first places where Bishop Richard Allen preached the gospel. Almost 2 full years before his experiences at St. George's Methodist Church commenced, Bishop Allen found himself in the home of the Waters family, receiving their generosity and preaching the good news.

I was fortunate enough to join Bishop Richard Franklin Norris, Rev. Carlos Bounds (Pastor of Bethel AME in Bryn Mawr, PA), and Bethel Bryn Mawr members in being a part of the dedication service (Sis. Gaskins on the right was instrumental in this day happening). Bishop Norris, Rev. Bounds, Sis. Gaskins, and myself all gave remarks on behalf of the AME Church. I literally had chills standing in that spot!

The neighborhood where Bishop Allen preached has largely changed and a park now sits on the Waters property. Think about just how timely this renaming celebration is in light of 2010 being the 250th birth year of Bishop Allen. Only God could hook things up in such a way!

Read about Bishop Allen's time in Radnor in his own words in the section below in italics. Also, for a more complete story of how the sign dedication came to be, check out the following story by Anne Minicozzi: http://mainlinemedianews.com/articles/2010/05/12/main_line_suburban_life/opinion/doc4bea15299655d312335649.txt

In the year 1784 I left East Jersey, and laboured in Pennsylvania. I walked until my feet became so sore and blistered the first day, that I scarcely could bear them to the ground. I found the people very humane and kind in Pennsylvania. I having but little money, I stopped at Cæsar Water's, at Radnor township, twelve miles from Philadelphia. I found him and his wife very kind and affectionate to me. In the evening they asked me if I would come and take tea with them; but after sitting awhile, my feet became so sore and painful that I could scarcely be able to put them to the floor. I told them that I would accept of their kind invitation, but my feet pained me so that I could not come to the table. They brought the table to me. Never was I more kindly received by strangers that I had never before seen, than by them. She bathed my feet with warm water and bran; the next morning my feet were better and free from pain. They asked me if I would preach for them. I preached for them the next evening. We had a glorious meeting. They invited me to stay till Sabbath day, and preach for them. I agreed to do so, and preached on Sabbath day to a large congregation of different persuasions, and my dear Lord was with me, and I believe there were many souls cut to the heart, and were added to the ministry. They insisted on me to stay longer with them. I stayed and laboured in Radnor several weeks. Many souls were awakened, and cried aloud to the Lord to have mercy upon them. I was frequently called upon by many inquiring what they should do to be saved. I appointed them to prayer and supplication at the throne of grace, and to make use of all manner of prayer, and pointed them to the invitation of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, who has said, "Come unto me, all ye that are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Glory be to God! and now I know he was a God at hand and left not afar off. I preached my farewell sermon, and left these dear people. (The Life, Experience, and Gospel Labours of the Rt. Rev. Richard Allen, page 9)

4 comments:

Reverand DonavanRoberts,Sr. said...

We often sing "Jesus on the mainline, tell him what you want". Now we can sing Richard Allen on the Mainline, look how far we've come. What a marvelous and timely tribute.

L. Michelle Odom said...

Mark, thanks for this post and this wonderful site. Reading Richard Allen's account of that day put me right in the moment. My feet even started to hurt! It's comforting to know he was treated with such hospitality. There are some things from our past we should definitely try to hold onto.

Anonymous said...

Pastor Tyler,

Thank you for this informative and historically rich article. We will be blessed to share this with our congregation through our monthly magazine, The View from Mt. Pisgah.

These types of revalations serve well to stimulate our pride with the richness of our history. God bless you for your witness, we are truly appreciative.

Sis. Deana R. Rivers

Anthony said...

Pastor Tyler,

My family and I are new owners of a house on Landover Road, just around the corner from the Bishop Richard Allen park.

Ours is also property owned by Caesar Waters. It's the one with the ancient spring house in front, which likely dates to Mr. Waters' time.

I can't tell you how exciting it is for me and the kids to discover such history literally right in our back yard.

Thank you for posting the article.

Anthony Moffa